If you took a bath in fantasy golf last week, don’t worry, you weren’t alone.
THE PLAYERS claimed quite a few victims, which will always happen with a deep, deep field on Pete Dye’s signature course.
It’s another TPC this week but a par-70 layout and no signs of Pete Dye anywhere which should make for a soft landing after last week.
As always, thanks for reading. For those of you who take the time, this is like the Director’s Cut edition. Everything and anything goes and sometimes I throw my loyalists, you, an extra bone or two for taking the time.
2015-16 Winners (at time of victory)
In 2014-15 there were 14 players in their 20s who won tournaments. They accounted for a whopping 24 victories in 47 events.
Under 30 Winners (9 different from 11 events)
- Emiliano Grillo, 23; Frys.com
- Smylie Kaufman, 23; Shriners
- Justin Thomas, 22; CIMB
- Peter Malnati, 28; SFC
- Jordan Spieth, 22; HTOC
- Hideki Matsuyama, 23; WMPO
- Jason Day, 28; API & WGC-Dell Match Play, THE PLAYERS
- Danny Willett, 28; Masters
- Branden Grace, 27; RBC Heritage
The guys between 30-39 years of age produced 16 multiple champions in 17 events last season.
Winners 30-39 (14 players in 15 events)
- Russell Knox, 30; HSBC Champions
- Graeme McDowell, 36; OHL Mayakoba
- Kevin Kisner, 31; RSM Classic
- Fabian Gomez, 37; Sony Open
- Jason Dufner, 38; CB Challenge
- Brandt Snedeker, 35; Farmers Insurance Open
- Vaughn Taylor, 39; AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
- Bubba Watson, 37; Northern Trust Open
- Adam Scott, 35; Honda Classic, WGC-Cadillac Championship
- Charl Schwartzel, 31; Valspar
- Jim Herman, 38; Shell Houston Open
- Charley Hoffman, 39; Valero Texas Open
- Brian Stuard, 33; Zurich Classic
- James Hahn, 34; Wells Fargo Championship
There were only four winners last season from 47 events (Furyk, Cejka, Love III and Harrington). Sentimentality has no place in fantasy golf, folks.
- none, yet. Alex Cejka proved his worth again at TPC Sawgrass (T-9) it was Ken Duke who stole the show with T-3. Retief Goosen also finished T-12.
Last year the only rookie to pick up a first-place check was Canadian Nick Taylor. This season it took ONE EVENT to match that total.
- Emiliano Grillo; Frys.com
- Smylie Kaufman; Shriners
Rookies and first-time players at TPC Sawgrass usually don’t perform well. Si Woo Kim (T-23) was the best of the first-timers and Harold Varner III (T-57) was the best rookie.
Rookies, journeyman, up-and-comers, I’ll keep track of them all. It’s a life-changer.
Three out of the last four winners on Tour have come from this column.
First-Time Winners on Tour
- 2013: 12
- 2014: 10
- 2015: 11
- 2016: (11 and counting)
- Emiliano Grillo (Frys.com)
- Smylie Kaufman (Shriners)
- Justin Thomas (CIMB)
- Peter Malnati (SFC)
- Russell Knox (WGC-HSBC Champions)
- Kevin Kisner (RSM)
- Tony Finau (PRO)
- Jim Herman (SHO)
- Danny Willett (Masters)
- Branden Grace (RBC Heritage)
- Brian Stuard (Zurich Classic)
Last Week’s Recap Column can be accessed by clicking HERE.